Thursday, April 8, 2010

Love and Punishment


Now reading the Bible. By the way, I'm Christian. Just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I'm a Buddhist or is Hindu.

Simply said, God creates the world in six days and rests on the seventh. Eve, the woman created along with Adam, decided to eat the fruit from the tree that God forbid to eat from, because a serpent persuaded her to. They are kicked out of the Garden of Eden, and they live outside with kids and all. Happy life. Well, until Cain decides to kill Abel. Cain runs off.
In the future, God decides to wipe out all living creatures, including humans. Yet, he tells Noah and his wife to get a pair of each animal to save them. Is this when unicorns went extinct? Anyways, Noah's decendants live happily. Noah dies in the end of chapter nine of the Genesis.

It kind of strikes me weird that God planted the forbidden tree of knowledge in the garden in the first place. Was it to test the newly created humans? If it were me, I would plant it in a secret garden in Russia or something like that. Maybe it was because God trusted them. But why did they act differently? I thought God knew how each person and animal was. I mean, he created them, right? My conclusion is that although he loved and trusted the humans, the snake was a fail in terms of being a pretty and nice earth creature.

God loved Adam and Eve, but then they are punished and sent out of the garden. Their kind were still loved though, until he punished them through sending a supermassive flood. Then, the descendants are loved. If thought very simply, the whole story until now is of love and/or punishment. Weird.

Again, I have to mention the fact that the story of the Noah's Ark is very similar to that of Utnapishtim in the story of Gilgamesh. I guess it's maybe unrelated, since most of what happens before and after are different. Maybe it is the same story, since it was generally in the same region (Middle East, Mesopotamia).

No comments:

Post a Comment