Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Be Yourself


I just read 'Pomona and Vertumnus'. I was wondering why I didn't know this story while I knew all the others, and I found out that this was the only pure-latin story in Metamorphoses.


So Vertumnus loves Pomona, but he just can't go to her as himself. He disguises himself and always watches her from far away (what most people would call stalking), until one day, he dresses up as an old woman and tells her that she should get a man, one such as Vermuntus (which is himself). He tells her a story to convince her, but it wasn't all that successful. Well, it turns out that Pomona knew that it was a disguise from the beginning. She tells Vertumnus to take the wig and the dress off, revealing his real self. Finally, Vertumnus is accepted.

It was just last post that I said that there were almost no stories that were entirely a happy ending, and guess what? Here's one right now. Maybe it has something to do with it being the only story that was not passed on from the Greeks.

This story is clearly trying to tell us a lesson. One that I always try to accomplish: Be yourself. This lesson was more directed towards the audience than the other stories, where it took some time to analyze all the meaning inside the story. Well, whatever.

The 'be yourself' thing kind of reminded me of something.
Can you guess? That's right.
I like bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment