Saturday, May 8, 2010

Asian Confucian Tradition

Here I am, reading the Analects. The Analect is basically a book with Confucius teaching in no particular order. The 'Master' is usually saying the teachings to the student, both of them whom we don't know.

It seems that the book is quite different from other books (like most other books I have read and analyzed on this blog). First of all, the fact that it doesn't matter from where you start reading from. It will still make sense. Another thing was that the whole book was sort of a conversation. Dialogues. This was a weird form a book could have, and it's one that I personally wouldn't use for books.

This book had many key terms and teachings, many that I was already fond with, just because I am Korean. You see, although many people in Korea are Christian (like me), Buddhists, etc., they still have the Confucius attitude and ways of doing things left in us from long ago. We consider it more as 'tradition' rather than 'beliefs' or 'religion'.

Back to what I was saying. The key terms seem to be very important in this particular book. See this sentence for example:
“Without Goodness no one can remain constant in adversary and cannot endure enjoying happiness.” (Analects 4.2)
Did you notice the 'Goodness' with a capital G? I'm not sure whether it is like that because it is very important, or because it was actually considered a proper noun or something when being translated.

I guess the book will be interesting.
Time to go back to the good ol' Asian religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment