Tuesday, May 18, 2010

No More Tao is Not Tao

Tao Te Ching 48-81

No, I don't get the title either.
SO SHUT UP!

Sorry about that.
I have finished the Tao Te Ching. Hm. It was shorter than I expected it to be. After all, it is the second most printed book, the first bring the Bible. A few last comments before I really finish the Tao Te Ching.

The book was nice. It really showed me what Daoism was, unlike Confucius, who left me confused. Even as I finished reading the book, it kept emphasizing balance. Even if it wouldn't be considered 'balanced', there were always at least two sentences that complimented each other, helped understand the other, and stuff like that. Look at the following quote for example.

"Truthful words are not beautiful.
Beautiful words are not truthful.
Good men do not argue.
Those who argue are not good.
Those who know are not learned.
The learned do not know." (Tao Te Ching 81)

The quote was from the last page of the book. Even until the end of the text, it had to be balance-ish, didn't it? Well, it was cool. Actually, this was one of the quotes that I liked. I quite agree with what it says here, maybe except for where it says that the learned don't know. It's so true that true words are not pretty. Reality is harsh. Yup. That, it is. I also thought that arguing too much isn't that good either, unlike my English teacher, who insists on teaching us how to argue. Well, it contradicts the book. I'm not sure if the last two lines have some kind of 'secret meaning' or something, because to me, it doesn't make sense.

Speaking of balance, look at this photo!


It's the picture of the Andromeda Galaxy, taken by NASA.
When I see pictures like this, I sometimes do think that nature is full of balance. I mean look at that! It's balance-ish. Haha, sorry. I don't have a good word to explain that. I'm just saying.


Tao Te Ching. The book of Daoism.
Very cool, short, not that bad to read.
NEVER READING IT AGAIN, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment