Monday, May 17, 2010

More Tao

Tao Te Ching 29-47

Nnnnnnggghhh. I'm bored of this book now. I guess I'm not much of a teaching reading guy. Nevertheless, the reading must go on.

This quote (quoteS, actually) caught my eye:
"Achieve results,
But never glory in them.
Achieve results,
But never boast.
Achieve results,
But never be proud.
Achieve results,
Because this is the natural way.
Achieve results,
But not through violence." (Tao Te Ching 30)

I like how it repeats. It's simple, yet it carries a lot of meaning.
This is practically saying that you shouldn't show off (I don't know what word to use) when you achieve things. I agree with this, except for a bit: where it says 'But never be proud'. I personally think we should be proud of the things we do. What did the author of this book want us to be, low self-esteemed Asians? If that was his intention, I won't become one.


"For one gains by losing
And loses by gaining." (Tao Te Ching 42)
This quote also made me think. It made me think about how gaining would be bad in the long run. The conclusion I got was that people get greedy and stuff. In the end, losing is better than gaining. But according to this quote, if you lose, you gain. When you gain, you will lose. It makes a cycle! Never mind. Stupid brain trying to work out logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment