Monday, May 3, 2010

Random Chunks of Writing?

Psalms 23, 42, 51, 137

These pieces were different from the others.
Unlike the others in which there actually was a beginning, middle, and an end, these just seem to pop out of nowwhere.

Psalm 23 was one in which David praises God. He says,
"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want." (Psalms 23:1)
Obviously, this shows that David is very loyal to God, believes in him and knows that God will guide him through the right path.

However, the tone was different in a different part of a Psalm of David.
"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions." (Psalms 51:1) says David. He rather sound sadder and regretful. If you knew the story of David, this is the part in which David is begging to be forived for how David indirectly killed Uriah to get his wife, Bathsheba.

In Psalm 42, the person sort of questions God. Now, now, don't do that. Remember Job? Hahaha. Anyways, although he questions God, he still praises God and believes him in the end.

Here, after I had read some parts of Psalms, I noticed that these don't sound like songs. They sound rather more like random chunks of stories. Is it because it's a translation? Is it because there's no melody to it? Maybe both?

In Psalm 137, the person singing this 'song' seems to remember something from his past. Something about Zion. Ooh. Now I know where the 'Zion' from the 'Matrix' came from. It did come from the bible, right?

All of these parts that I have read show people generally praising God. I guess that's the whole point. However, it is somewhat harder to understand than most other stories due to the lack of background information.

No comments:

Post a Comment