Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Same Guy, Different Story?

Gospel of Luke 1-8

Luke. I am your father.

Just kidding. Not that Luke.
I started reading the Gospel according to Luke.

This gospel started with the story of how John (the baptizer) was born. Then, unlike the Gospel of Mark, talks about how Joseph and Maria came together, and how Jesus was born. It shows a short bit of his childhood. It talks about how John baptizes Jesus.

Time out here. Supposedly, John didn't know about Jesus.
"And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not; John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire." (Gospel of Luke 3:15,16)
From here, you can infer that John didn't actually know that Jesus existed until John baptized him. If so, how did he find out Jesus was who he was at first glance? Did God tell him? If so why is it not said in the text? I don't know.

The Gospel according to Luke didn't have the battle between Jesus and Satan. Here I thought: Why are all the gospels different from each other? Why couldn't they have just have had one master gospel? Well, whatever. Many means more credible.


The gospel told the story on Jesus collecting his disciples, and performing miracles, some which I haven't seen before. There was one where Jesus made this 'young man' come back to life:
"Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother." (Gospel of Luke 7:14,15)

The Gospel of Luke is indeed different from that of Mark in its context. I hope it gets more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment