Friday, May 28, 2010

Noble-er Jesus

Gospel of Luke 9-16

The miracles of Jesus continue.

There were many things different from the Gospel according to Mark as I read. It didn't mention the death of John the Baptizer, and it didn't mention Jesus walking on water either. The Gospel according to Luke also had some of it's own unique short stories, such as the one where a lawyer asks Jesus of how to have eternal life.

Other than these stories, most were pretty much the same as that of the Gospel of Mark. Oh, forgot one thing. The Gospel of Luke also included the Lord's Prayer.

The part that I liked the most of this particular part of the gospel that I read was the metaphor Jesus made about the lost sheep.

"What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it,he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together hisfriends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance." (Gospel of Luke 15:4-7)

From here, I saw that the Gospel according to Luke tried to make Jesus a more 'noble' character. He was made into someone who actually looks like he is here to fulfil his mission (unlike the Gospel according to Mark, where Jesus shows signs that he maybe didn't actually want to be who he was, shown by the quote "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Gospel of Mark 15:34) )

In my personal opinion, the Gospel of Luke seems more fun that the Gospel of Mark. It's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment