Sunday, May 9, 2010

Teachings Forgotten?

Reading the Analects isn't as fun as I expected. There was nothing that made you go 'Oh! I love this quote!' or 'Hey! I know this quote!'.

Well, at least that was until I read book 15.
There was the quote: "Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself." (Analects 15:24)
Hey! I know that! More commonly known as the golden rule, and used one million times every day by teachers. The 'don't-do-anything-to-others-that-you-don't-want-done-to-you rule. To say the truth, I didn't know that it originally came from Confucianism. Well, I guess it is, and everyone at least knows something from it.


It was interesting how the teachings in the book are divided into two: the useful and the we-don't-need-these-teachings. What do I mean? Although some teachings are taken into consideration (like the golden rule), some are just thrown away to the floor (like respecting the elders. Maybe you do, but it's very different from what Confucian people do).

It's too bad that the Confucian teachings are not being applied much around the world. The new generations are forgetting or not applying it to their lives. Now the teachings from the book are treated like some old Asian traditional teachings, even in Asian countries. Although reading it is sort of boring, I think it shouldn't be forgotten. At least in Asia, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment