Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Miraculous Jesus

Gospel of Mark 5-8

Still reading.
I started wondering why it's called the Gospel of MARK. Is that the name of the person who wrote this? I don't know, and I'm too lazy too go to Wikipedia.


In these chapters, Jesus keeps performing miracles, some of them which we know very well, such as walking on water. Another was multiplying five loaves and two fish (one basket) into twelve baskets in the end after everyone had eaten. The people start following him (while some don't believe in him). Jesus then predicts that he will die and revive in three days.

This part of the Gospel of Mark is, I believe, very well known to people. Yet, reading it from the original (well, not really, since the King James Bible is a translation) piece was somewhat unique.

Anyways, Peter doesn't accept Jesus' prediction. Jesus then replies to him. Here's what I thought was interesting:
"Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men." (Gospel of Mark 8:33)
It's funny how just before Peter rejects what Jesus says, he said something that Jesus liked. Right afterwards, Jesus addresses Peter as Satan. Haha. Is it because the bad/evil thoughts of Satan are inside Peter? Something like that? If so, Satan can make people do anything he wants. Does he have as much power as God? (Of course not, but I'm just saying)

But then remember Job from before? If Satan wanted Job to question/insult God, he could have done it right? Why didn't he?

Oh, and I still have the unanswered question of 'Who is Satan anyways?' I still don't know how he came to be. Whoops, I'm getting off topic.

Anyways, everything's cool until now.
Hopefully, the text will become fun-er.

1 comment:

  1. Funner, even hypothetically as it is not a word in Standard English, should have two ns.

    Good reading in noticing Peter's reaction.

    ReplyDelete