Monday, May 10, 2010

Balance

Tao Te Ching 1-12

As you might have noticed, I am reading a new book. It's called Tao Te Ching. Wow. My English teacher sure knows how to choose books. We read the Bible, Greek mythology, Confucianism, Hindu, and now, Daoism. Don't we ever get to read fun (some were fun. I mean like more of a sci-fi or some teenage *beep* like that) books? Well, whatever. It's English class.

So, the Tao Te Ching.
It's a book about Daoism. Right.
This book was different yet again. But this time, there was something VERY different. It was the first book without main characters. Even the Analects had characters like the Master and Zigong. This book, however, has none. It's basically a bunch of short teachings (kind of) of Daoism. They're just statements. No dialogues, no questions, no teenage vampires (thank goodness), and no plot.

The Tao Te Ching's main key term seems to be balance, as can be seen from some of the quotes in the text:
"Difficult and easy complement each other.
Long and short give each other contrast.
High and low require each other.
Voice and music harmonize with each other.
Front and back follow one another." (Tao Te Ching II Chapter 2)


I like this idea. Without this, there can't be that.
Stuff like that.

I don't remember where I heard it, but there was a saying that said: If there were no evil, there would be no good. Therefore, it must be good to be evil. Something like that. I thought it was cool.

Anyways, I hope this book gets more interesting (unlike the Analects).
Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment